In CTET Exam, the Social Studies section comprises a total of 60 questions of 60 marks, in which 40 questions come from the content section i.e.History, Geography, and Political Science, and the rest 20 questions from Social Studies Pedagogy section. Here, we are providing important Complete study notes on Social Studies which will be very helpful for upcoming CTET and other teaching exams.
CTET Notes on History-
KINGDOMS, KINGS AND AN EARLY REPUBLIC
- Priests divided the people into 4 groups called varnas; each varna had a set of functions
- The first varna was that of a Brahmin – expected to study and teach Vedas and perform rituals
- The second varna was Kshatriyas – expected to fight battles and protect people
- The third varna was Vaishyas – expected to be farmers, herders, and traders
- Fourth Varna was Shudras– to serve other three groups –they were not allowed to study the Vedas and not to perform rituals
- Rajas or kings in the early ancient times were chosen by Jana (the people), but later they were chosen through sacrifices and offerings.
- The Ashwamedha yajna or the horse sacrifice was a major ritual in ancient India. In this sacrifice, a horse was let loose and wandered into other kingdoms. If a king of another kingdom stops the horse, the king who sets the horse free wages war against him.