1. Northern Railways To Monitor Cleanliness Of Trains Using WhatsApp Groups The Northern Railways will now monitor the cleanliness of its trains using WhatsApp groups supervised by senior officials. Every department, be it the pantry, bedrolls etc., will have separate WhatsApp groups, in which status report of cleanliness will be uploaded on a daily basis.
2. India Is The Second Highest Sender Of Foreign Students In US With 1,86,000 Indian students currently studying in the United States, India is the second highest sender of foreign students to the US, next only to China.
3. India, China Sign 2 Agreements On Brahmaputra Water Data Sharing & Non-Basmati Rice Export
India and China signed two bilateral agreements following the meeting between the Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping on the sidelines of the summit. The agreements include continuing to share Brahmaputra water data during flood season and exporting non-Basmati rice to China.
4. 44th G7 Summit Was Held In Canada
The 44th G7 summit was held on June 8–9, 2018, in Quebec, Canada. This was the sixth time since 1981 that Canada has hosted the meetings. The 44th G7 summit was the first summit for Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
5. WHO Commends India For Reducing Maternal Mortality Ratio By 77%
The WHO has commended India’s progress in reducing the maternal mortality ratio (MMR) by 77 percent, from 556 per one lac live births in 1990 to 130 per one lac live births in 2016. This progress puts the country on track towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal target of an MMR below 70 by 2030. India’s present MMR is below the Millennium Development Goal target.
6. French Open 2018: Rafael Nadal Beats Dominic Thiem To Win 11th Title
World number one Rafael Nadal won an 11th French Open title by beating Austrian Dominic Thiem in straight sets. Nadal, 32, won 6-4 6-3 6-2 to earn his 17th Grand Slam, three adrift of Roger Federer’s all-time men’s record.
7. French Open 2018: Halep Beats Stephens To Win Maiden Grand Slam Title
World number one Simona Halep has won her first Grand Slam title with a gutsy comeback victory over American 10th seed Sloane Stephens in the French Open final. Halep, who had lost her three previous major finals, went a set and a breakdown at Roland Garros.
8. India Beat Kenya To Lift Intercontinental Cup Football Title
India has lifted the Intercontinental Cup football title. In the summit clash in Mumbai, they defeated Kenya 2-nil. Both the goals were netted by skipper Sunil Chhetri. He gave India the lead in the eighth minute before scoring the second goal in the 29th minute.